Monday 11 July 2011

I acknowledge one baptism...

When I was a teenager, I wanted to be baptized by total immersion. I’d been christened as a baby – sprinkled with Water, but what did I remember of that ... Nothing! What did it mean to me if I could not remember it ... Nothing!
A wise Minister, whom I fully respected, told me it was not necessary. I had been baptised, and rebaptism would be meaningless. But I wanted the emotional high I thought would come from total immersion. Remember, I was a teen, and emotion was all important. Without the feeling of being in love, whether with Christ or the latest boyfriend, how could I know love was real?
It took me many years to understand why rebaptism was unnecessary. Baptism is not a once for all time occurrence; it is an ongoing experience. The symbolic sprinkling of water I received as a five week old baby all those years ago was the start of a life immersed in the God, in whom “we live and move and have our being”[1].
Jesus told his Disciples, after his resurrection, to “make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit” [2] , immersing them in the life of the holy Trinity.
Unfortunately, many baptised persons never realize the joy of this life in Christ. Whether sprinkled with water or immersed in it, they are sprinkled with Christianity. Another baptism will not change this. What is needed is to grasp the reality of the life in Christ that was offered in Baptism, and live as Christ taught. 

Points to Ponder:

What does my Baptism mean to me? Am I immersed in Faith or sprinkled with religion?

What can I do to immerse myself in the life of Christ?

Prayer

Holy One, Creator, redeemer and Comforter, Surround me with Your love, that I may be immersed in eternal life, Amen



[1]               Acts 17.28
[2]               Matthew 28.19